Dr. Ashwin Mahesh was named one of the 50 smart people who will change the world by a UK Magazine in the year 2012. He is a MBA graduate, an astronomer, a geo physicist, columnist, social activist and a politician. Since 2004, he has been involved in several social causes. Some of his accomplishments include:
- One of the founders of Mapunity – that develops and uses technology to tackle development problems in India.
- Member of the ABIDe Task Force
- Co-author of PlanBengaluru 2020. Proposed a new road map for planning and development in Bengaluru.
- Worked extensively with the Traffic Police and BMTC reforms including the Big10 bus system (an attempt to re-orient the bus routes along directional arteries, introduced in Feb 2009).
- Worked with Traffic Police to develop India's first Traffic Management Centre (2007-onwards) which is being replicated in other cities.
- Led lake development efforts by citizens. Based on the model created by Ashwin for the citizen-led development of Puttenahalli Lake in 2009-10, the BBMP is now going forward with similar initiatives at dozens of other lakes.
- Played an active role in the anti-corruption initiative - CORRUPTION SAAKU
- Played an active role in IAC's demand for the Jan Lokpal Bill in Karnataka
Ashwin Mahesh is a part of various committees of the State Government and the city/civic agencies, a few of which are listed here:
- The Committee to draft the Urban Development Policy of the State
- The Committee to review TDR and its implementation
- The Technical Advisory Committee of BBMP
- The Steering Committe of Bangalore Traffic Police
- The Committee on non-motorised transport of the Department of Urban Land Transport
- The National Transport Development Policy Committee's Working Group on Urban Transport. Dr. Mahesh has been an Urban Strategy adviser to the government during the last two years, and a Special Adviser to the BMTC.
Association with Loksatta
Dr. Ashwin Mahesh has participated for many years in various initiatives of Loksatta Andolan, beginning with the campaign for electoral reforms. He worked with Dr JP in the Administrative Reforms Commission. He contested as a Loksatta Party candidate in Bangalore Graduate Constituency elections in 2012 and secured 16% of the votes. His candidature was endorsed by Justice Santosh Hegde.
Dr. Mahesh lives in the Bangalore Arakere-Puttenahalli area with his wife Sapana and two children Aditi, Mahiti.